Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tips & Techniques: Glimmer Mist

As promised on our Facebook Fan Page, today I will show you the mystery embellishment I used to make Easter grass on our upcoming Easter Pages (Saturday, March 17th from 1-3pm).

Here's what the pages look like:
Photobucket Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

(To register for the class or have a kit saved or shipped to you, click here.)

I wanted something that looked like Easter grass for the basket, but I didn't want to use the plastic Easter grass on my pages. So I grabbed some "Basket, Box & Bag Shred" in white and some Glimmer Mist in Key Lime and got to work!

Photobucket

After putting down a tablecloth to protect my work surface, I took a small handful of the shred and sprayed it generously with the Glimmer Mist. (I had to use a handful since I needed to make enough for all the kits, but for just one project you'll only need a few strands.)  I flipped it over and sprayed the other side, then sort of "tossed" it around like you would a salad to make sure it got nice and mixed in. You might even spray it a couple more times just to make sure it's mostly green, but again I was working in a larger batch.

Photobucket

I spread it out to let it dry before putting it on my page. To adhere it, I put a couple strips of Tacky Tape down (glue dots would work as well! Anything that's super sticky!) and smooshed it into the tape. Then I used foam squares to adhere my eggs and basket.

Photobucket

Another fun way to use Glimmer Mist is called the Resist technique. Basically you put ink or Glimmer Mist over an embossed image, so that the embossed part stays white (or whatever color it was originally) and the ink sticks to everything else.

Here I used some white embossed Easter egg paper:

Photobucket

I sprayed it first with a pink mist (S.W.A.K. to be exact)...

Photobucket
Photobucket

...and then immediately wiped off the excess with a paper towel:

Photobucket

I repeated those same two steps with Key Lime and Daffodil:

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

This was the end result:

Photobucket

It reminded me of dying Easter eggs. :) It also looks like tie-dye!

You can get the same effect by stamping an image in Versamark ink and embossing it with clear embossing powder. Then just ink or spray over the embossed image and wipe off the excess.

That's it! Hope you have fun playing with some Glimmer Mist! Just a warning, you will get a bit dirty, but it's worth it! :)

Happy Scrapping!

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts